LQQK, The Way I Look, is my first visual EP featuring 6 original songs, choreographies, and concepts in a digital format. With glam-electro pop sound, high quality filmmaking, performance art, and athletic dance, LQQK, The Way I Look celebrates queer thought, physicality, form, and function. Think Beyoncé's Lemonade - I will explore my history and most intimate experiences with sexual identity.
LQQK is slated to be my most personal work yet; it is a declaration of my own queer presence and pride. This is me - who I am, how I think, and where I am going. Through the songwriting I cracked through my own inauthenticities and developed a fuller expression of myself. At the end of the day, LQQK is the dream come true from a fearful youth to a multifaceted artist.
Check out my work at the links below!
- My visual cover of Queen's Somebody to Love!
- José on NPR: on Orlando, and the very first seedling ideas of LQQK
- My cover of Adele's When We Were Young | Press: Elite Daily / Idolator
- Performing at the New Museum X DKNY in 'On False Tears and Outsourcing,' Cally Spooner's First U.S. Solo Exhibition
By funding LQQK, you are supporting a team of diverse, hard working young artists. I am beyond grateful to have a committed and talented group who collaborate to help me execute my vision. I am young emerging artist in New York City making recorded music, and visual art using dance as my medium. I perform in on/off-Broadway shows, museum installations, and choreograph frequently throughout major U.S. cities.
100% of your contributions will directly produce LQQK, The Way I Look. Investing in LQQK couldn't be more timely as the arts need your support and solidarity right now. The current political climate is doing it's best to erase LGBTQIA+ stories - your support shows you believe and celebrate rebellious art and my rebellious spirit. I refuse to hide or feel ashamed because of who I am. In fact, I choose to celebrate who I am, and believe you should too.
By giving to this Kickstarter, you are directly funding:
- One full week of in-studio sessions at Studio G, a Latin Grammy Award-Winning location with incomparable musical equipment, instruments, and support staff to ensure the highest quality sound production. (+$8K)
- On location at one NYC Soundstage, and four days oncampsite in Hudson Valley, NY (potentially Ashokan Arts, TBD post Studio, filming August 2017). (+$3K)
- Artist Compensation for all contributing to the project:
- Cesar Gonzalez (Music Production & Engineering, Berklee College of Music ‘11), LQQK’s Sound Engineer and Musical Producer
- Wayland Bell (School of Visual Art ‘14), Director of Photography
- Charlie Purdom (School of Visual Art '14), Director
- Rebecca Hidalgo, my choreographic assistant and muse
- Solid Goold Band - Albert Goold, Steve Conroy, Cory Metrick
- All performers working on set, including Special Guest Appearances (re: Dior Vargas, Rify Royalty)
Thank you so incredibly much for taking the time to read this, and for potentially contribute to this really exciting work. Please share with anyone you think might appreciate/have interest in my work!
José & the LQQK team